close
close

Steve Buscemi rushed to the hospital after a brutal attack in New York

Steve Buscemi
Steve Buscemi was attacked in New York this week and subsequently hospitalized (Image: Getty Images)

Actor Steve Buscemi was brutally attacked on the streets of New York City, reportedly leaving the Boardwalk Empire star covered in blood.

The 66-year-old Brooklyn native was walking through Kips Bay in Midtown Manhattan this week when he was approached by the attacker in broad daylight and then attacked, according to sources.

Buscemi’s face was swollen and battered after the attack and he also reportedly suffered damage to his left eye. The Fargo actor was taken to Bellevue Hospital to be treated for his injuries.

Police sources say the man who attacked Buscemi in what is believed to be a random act of violence is still on the run.

In a statement to the New York Post, Buscemi’s publicist said: “Steve Buscemi was attacked in Mid-Town Manhattan, another victim of random violence in the city.”

“He’s doing well and appreciates everyone’s well wishes, although he’s incredibly sad for everyone that this happened while he was also walking the streets of New York.”

Steve Buscemi as Enoch Nucky Thompson
Buscemi is known for his appearance as Enoch “Nucky” Thompson in the hit HBO series Boardwalk Empire (Image: HBO)

The unprovoked attack occurred outside 369 Third Ave. around 11:48 a.m. Wednesday.

A witness to the incident recalled: “I saw he was with a woman and then through the corner of the window I saw him trip and fall backwards,” she told the Post.

“He immediately got up and ran in the opposite direction. “I didn’t see who hit him.

Steve Buscemi's attacker
Photos of Buscemi’s attackers were released by the NYPD (Image: NYPD)

“It worries me when we close because we close at 11 o’clock and it can get scary at that time,” said the witness, identified only as Nat.

Although no arrests have been made in the case, the NYPD released an image of the attacker, a seemingly middle-aged man with a beard who was wearing a baseball cap, blue T-shirt and black sweatpants at the time of the attack.

Buscemi – known for the HBO series “Boardwalk Empire” and films such as “Fargo”, “Reservoir Dogs” and “Con Air” – was not only born and raised in New York City, but also became a local hero after he After the terrorist attack, the terrorist attacks of September 11th rushed to help.

Steve Buscemi
Buscemi was reportedly taken to hospital to be treated for his injuries (Image: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP)

The former firefighter rejoined his fire department, Engine 55, and worked tirelessly in the rescue efforts following the attack on the World Trade Center.

The attack on Buscemi comes just weeks after Buscemi’s Boardwalk Empire co-star Michael Stuhlbarg was injured in a similar random incident on the streets of the Big Apple.

Stuhlbarg was out for a walk on the city’s Upper East Side when he was attacked by a homeless man wielding a large rock. Stuhlbarg pursued the perpetrator, a 27-year-old named Xavier Israel, and assured that he had been arrested.

Do you have a story?

If you have a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or visiting our website Visit “Submit Stuff” – we’d love to I look forward to hearing from you.

MORE: Jaws actress Susan Backlinie dies at 77

MORE: ‘Funniest Man in America’ comedian James Gregory dies of cardiac arrest at 78

MORE: Groundbreaking film director Roger Corman, who directed ‘The Little Shop of Horrors’, has died aged 98

Show business