Police say a man was shot at teenagers in Challis and was arrested after an overnight standoff

The following is a press release from the Custer County Sheriff’s Office.

CHALLIS – A man was arrested after a standoff with officers at a home in Challis Sunday afternoon.

The incident began around 11:25 last night near Summit Circle and Blue Mountain Road when dispatch received a call that a man had shot at their vehicle. Apparently a disturbance involving several teenagers and 47-year-old Curtis Lee Caton resulted in Caton firing a gun at them as they were leaving. A short time later, the teens’ parents went to the area but were confronted by Caton firing shots into their vehicle. The bullets penetrated the interior of the vehicle and almost hit the occupants. There were no injuries.

RELATED | Person in custody following police incident in Challis

Officers spoke with Caton at his Summit Circle home around 12:51 a.m. to find out what happened. Mr. Caton slammed the door and refused to speak to deputies. There was a 23-year-old woman inside at the time.

Officers set up a security perimeter around the home while the Bonneville County Sheriff’s Office SWAT team was called in for assistance. As personnel arrived on scene and communications continued, the woman inside was eventually released. Additionally, the Southeast Idaho STAR Tactical Team, comprised of deputies from Bingham, Bannock and Caribou counties, as well as the Blackfoot Police Department responded with additional personnel and resources as negotiations continued throughout the morning.

After approximately six hours of negotiations, Mr. Caton surrendered peacefully and was taken into custody. Mr. Caton was taken to the Custer County Jail and charged with a felony count of unlawful discharge of a firearm into an occupied vehicle before being transported to the Lemhi County Jail for incarceration. Additional charges related to the incident are pending as the investigation continues. There were no injuries to any witnesses or relief workers during the events, and the area reopened around 3:30 p.m

Custer County Sheriff Maydole thanks the community for their patience and cooperation during this ordeal. The Sheriff’s Office appreciates the response and resources of the Bonneville County Sheriff’s Office SWAT and Southeast Idaho STAR tactical teams.

=htmlentities(get_the_title())?>%0D%0A%0D%0A=get_permalink()?>%0D%0A%0D%0A=htmlentities(‘For more stories like this, visit https://www.eastidahonews. com/ for all the latest news, community events and more.’)?>&subject=Check%20out%20this%20story%20from%20EastIdahoNews” class=”fa-stack jDialog”>